Tuesday 21 July 2015

Post 13: AJ: What is screaming?


Ambient Jam



Image: Roswither Chester


A contemplation of what is screaming



Charles, our musician, amplifies the growls and squeaks he hears from the dancers, from all of us, in the room.

This carries personal resonance.
I wonder at when I have been mauled by a critic, undercut by an administrator. What are those screams. What if I could amplify their sounds, as Charles does, play out the emotions behind their words?

This would be 'drama therapy', in a way, but more cut to the chase. What are they really expressing, perhaps the chasm that opens in their world in contemplating something new: a primal scream that just roars for its own sake; that roars and screams because something is shifting, something is new, receiving information that it does not know what to do with yet, or, feeling the new and being shifted and then screaming because of it.

Who breathes this process, who in our lives, which bureaucrats do and don’t, which Commissioner or funding body. Artaud would have nailed it: sighs and screams. Being pushed, nudged, re-minded, re-considered.


The problem is, how to deal with the supposed power such people hold. The scream of their authority. What do I do with this. Do I have to sit on my hands, soften my words, dumb down…or, just wait, until the screams subside.



c. Z Soboslay 2015.

1 comment:

  1. I remembered Artaud - and wondered - does the scream capture the gap he was so worried about - the gap between thought and articulation?

    ReplyDelete